Worst ideas/features in programming langu

ClapTrap clap at trap.com
Tue Oct 26 21:44:33 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 11:27:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 11:06:55 UTC, ClapTrap wrote:
>> When keep using terms like elitist, fashionista, wanabee, to
>> describe people who make choices you disagree with it makes
>> you look like you have a chip on your shoulder.
>
> Good grief. What people? I am making up arbitrary examples
> describing common traits of most human beings, it describes
> nobody in particular and everybody in general.

You literally said there's no rational reason to choose "&&" over
"and" so those people who do so must be elitist blowhards.

> I wrote machine language in my teens, not because it was
> practical, but because I wanted to master the hardware. That is
> a clear identity motif.

Err ok, you did something because you wanted to.

> There is no reason to be offended by the obvious: humans are
> strongly affected by culture, identity and emotional aspects.
> Programmers included.

I don't dispute that, what I dispute is that it's relevant when
people are choosing tools. People arn't thinking about how cool
they will look holding it when they go shopping for a chainsaw,
they are thinking about whether it will make the job faster,
better or easier.

I think the idea that fashion or wanting to appear cool or
whatever has anything more than a negligible effect on language
adoption is pure BS to be honest.