Worst ideas/features in programming langu

ClapTrap clap at trap.com
Tue Oct 26 23:59:34 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 22:11:29 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 21:44:33 UTC, ClapTrap wrote:
>> You literally said there's no rational reason to choose "&&"
>> over "and" so those people who do so must be elitist blowhards.
>
> No. Stop making up stuff.

"It us equally puzzeling why prople want "&&" instead of "and" or
"||" instead of "or". There is no rational explanation, I think
people like to feel that they are using something advanced and
that a syntax that that is associated with advanced usage makes
them feel more skilled? Kinda like fashion"

>> I don't dispute that, what I dispute is that it's relevant
>> when people are choosing tools. People arn't thinking about
>> how cool they will look holding it when they go shopping for a
>> chainsaw, they are thinking about whether it will make the job
>> faster, better or easier.
>
> Uhm. I most certainly enjoyed how cool my Husqvarna 242G was
> when I reved it up to 15000 RPM and sliced trunks like butter.
> I still feel pretty darn cool when I use it, far more so than
> when using the electric saw.

Is that why you bought it? So you can feel cool?

I have a bunch of Stihl gear, a Kombi tool, couple of chainsaws.
I bought them simply because they are exceptionally good are the
job they are designed to do, and they are extremely reliable.

Fashion, or thinking how they tie into my ego, didn't factor into
the decision to buy them.

> There is plenty of coolness factors in marketing and design of
> forestry and agriculture equipment. Especially tractors. Just
> take a look at the visual appearance of modern Valtra and
> Ferrari tractors.

Farmers will still look at whether the tractor actually has the
features they need before considering whether it looks cool or
not.

>> I think the idea that fashion or wanting to appear cool or
>> whatever has anything more than a negligible effect on
>> language adoption is pure BS to be honest.
>
> Were you around when C++ and Java lauched commercially? People
> navigate socially. Hype works.

Hype works, but I dont see the hype used used to push programming
languages as being of the kind you think it is. It's hype about
features, about how it'll make your programs faster, safer,
easier. It's not hype plays into peoples ideas about themselves.
It's not "Learn Java and be cool", its "Write once run anywhere".