Thoughts on versioning

Ogi ogion.art at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:30:18 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 26 October 2021 at 06:05:08 UTC, bauss wrote:
> The only problem I see when versioning the standard library is
> that some packages will rely on specific versions of the
> standard library and it could make it difficult to use packages
> that rely on different versions of the standard library.

You’re saying it like it’s not a big deal but I’m afraid it’s
going to be a huge source of pain. Imagine not being able to get
some `DateTime`, or `Complex`, or `File` from one package and
pass it to another because one depends on `std1` and the other
depends on `std2`. Or imagine dealing with different versions of
the same exception class. It appears to me that versioning the
standard library is a bullet train straight to dependency hell.