What kinds of Software do you create in D.

SealabJaster sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 12:22:32 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 01:48:25 UTC, harakim wrote:
> I'm curious: Is there a poll somewhere that asks what kind of
> software projects people write in D? If not, what does everyone
> write using the D Language?

Lots of little useless libraries:

* JCLI (likely superseded by Andrey Zherikov's argparse):
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/jcli

* A Lua 5.1 interface with minimal GC allocations:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/lumars

* A -betterC ansi library: https://github.com/BradleyChatha/jansi

* A Go Library that I might port to D:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/decorator

Many, many more that are too minor to mention or never even saw
the light of day.

For applications:

* Most recently a coverage->HTML processor:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/dcover

* A cute little attempt at an assembler:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/jupiter

* Another cute attempt at making a nicer shell for Windows:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/bcshell

* A small game using Vulkan that I made 0 progress on, but
eventually want to go back to:
https://github.com/BradleyChatha/farm_defense

And again, many more minor things. And **plenty** of things that
never made it to Github.

Some wacky things I want to experiment with, probably using D:

* A D-native scripting language, using the MIR library
https://github.com/vnmakarov/mir

* Some weird idea for a file format, where the format embeds a
script/bytecode which is responsible for actually transforming
data from it's initial format and the stored file format, and
vice-versa.

* My brain still keeps trying to come up with an interesting
build system, but constantly fails >x3

So in general, just a bunch of random, mostly experimental
things. From other's anecdotes, they've found that D is the
perfect language for prototyping because going from a prototype
into a production codebase is apparently very smooth.