Are these bencmarks recent and real?

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 11:21:26 UTC 2021

On Thursday, 2 September 2021 at 11:05:44 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
>> On windows the same project takes 1.8 sec to fully rebuild,
>> windows likes to make things slow.. i wonder if that's because
>> of the linker, i don't know how to check that
>
> File system access is significantly slower on Windows because
> of case insensitivity, Unicode and more metadata accesses per
> file. This overhead is far from being negligible when accessing
> a lot of small files (on NTFS afaicr files < than cluster size
> are stored inside the special directory structure requiring
> special operation to extract and other such oddities).

While true, this doesn't even remotely explain the difference.

Windows filesystem performance are a disaster. Don't take it from
me, take it from the windows team itself, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQEgeoabHNo

In that presentation, the engineer explain the challenge of using
a git monorepo at microsoft, and process creation performance as
well as file system performance where both major issue vs linux,
and to a lesser extent OSX.