Is D Dead?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Sep 14 18:46:09 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 18:03:32 UTC, Kenneth Dallmann
wrote:

> D has a full set of OOP features, but it may not play as well
> with pointers and
> bare metal code as Rust.

Yes and no. In betterC classes are disabled as well as TypeInfo.
In betterC you have to use structs and structs do not provide
full OOP features, only composition (there are hacks around this
I've seen). For many systems structs are enough but sometimes you
want full classes with inheritance and virtual methods. I would
like that betterC could allow classes as well as TypeInfo. For
very small embedded system TypeInfo might just eat up important
space but for medium or large ones, TypeInfo can actually help.

In the ideal world I would like that the OOP features of D
becomes more bare metal friendly. This also leads into the memory
management discussion, but I'll leave that out in this thread.

I've also read the Rust is disliked for small embedded systems
because of the restrictive memory model. People seem to flee to
other programming languages for like Zig if it is not C/C++. I
think D can position itself better here if we can get our act
together when it comes to the memory model.