Phobos' slow descent into madness

Per Nordlöw per.nordlow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:56:04 UTC 2021

On Friday, 7 May 2021 at 20:47:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> What the heck is that? Turns out it's a private symbol (that
> for some reason turns out to be duplicated in druntime and
> phobos). That private symbol, in turn, is used in a suite of
> desperate templates of which drabness is only overcome by their
> mind-numbing repetitiveness:
>
> BooleanTypeOf
> IntegralTypeOf
> FloatingPointTypeOf
> CharTypeOf
> StaticArrayTypeOf
> DynamicArrayTypeOf
> AssocArrayTypeOf
>
> What are these used for? Glad you asked! All these support
> "alias this" for the std.format.format function.

It's worth mentioning that, according to `git blame`, these
symbols were all added by k-hara in 2012 and haven't changed in
any fundamental way since. So I don't think the title of this
thread quite represents the recent slow decline of things in
phobos. Rather the decline happended abruptly 10 years ago. A
more relevant question to ask ourselves is who approved these
changes in 2012.