Is D Dead?

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:53:43 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, 14 September 2021 at 20:31:24 UTC, Paulo Pnito wrote:

> Well, Go is bootstraped and the GC is written in Go itself.
>
> https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/src/runtime/malloc.go
>
> In any case, just like C and C++ have subsets for embedded use,
> in TamaGo you can for example do DMA in plain Go code.

So Go isn't totally dependent on the GC, just like D isn't. Good
to know - I won't make myself silly by claiming otherwise in
future debates. And your original point, that Go is a contender
in systems programming space, is easy to believe when the
language implements it's own GC.

> Coming back to D, basically my point is that GC is part of the
> productivity equation, even in systems programming.
>
> Naturally there are scenarios where any kind of memory
> allocation is a no-go, those where SPARK, MISRA-C and formal
> methods are the only options.

No disagreement here. I have seen many others here say the same.

> If you prefer one of those typical car analogies, classical
> manual memory management is like driving stick with fossil
> fuel, while using D with all its features, is driving a Porsche
> Taycan.

And the best cars are ones that are automatic by default but can
switch manually if need be. For example, when you're driving a
downhill route you might want to use a lower gear than normal to
save your brake pads. JavaScript would I think be the car with
absolutely no manual gear control and runs the risk of
overheating it's brakes as a result.