Coding Assistance Tooling, why so many scattered projects?

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sat Apr 23 15:53:48 UTC 2022

On Friday, 22 April 2022 at 17:41:01 UTC, Martin B wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Recently, I wanted to improve my experience with dlang in
> sublime text and tried several solutions.

I am the author of
https://packagecontrol.io/packages/SublimeLinter-contrib-dmd,
which is the D syntax checking plugin for Sublime Text. I have
contributed a couple of PRs for their D syntax highlighter as
well. Sublime Text is a bit special regarding syntax
highlighting, as they use their own regular expression engine,
and so cannot use generalised language server solutions. At least
that was the answer I got from the devs a few years ago, when I
asked whether a dmd-as-a-library solution would be viable. So
consolidating efforts is harder in Sublime’s case, as it wants to
be different. As far as I know, only Visual Studio (proper) has a
dmd-based language server: VisualD.

— Bastiaan.