I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 23 21:33:13 UTC 2022

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 08:15:27PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> So, I have this nice little project, sdc. It builds using make, and
> everything was good. People wanted it to be distributed via dub, so be it,
> let's create a dub.json file.
[...]
> Let me blunt: this is bullshit. While I make fun of the poor UX and its
> guessing game, this ultimately is something that isn't a blocker. However,
> this whole my way or the highway attitude to everything is everything i
> don't want in a software.

This is why I have not used dub at all in spite of having used D for a
decade, except for one aborted project where I used a dummy empty
project whose sole purpose was to pull in vibe.d and its tangle of
dependencies. I already have my own build system which works better than
dub, yet it insists that I have to conform to its rules and doesn't even
have an escape hatch for integrating with foreign build systems. IOW,
it's a walled garden. I have no patience for walled gardens; life is too
short for that.

[...]
> Anyways, enough said. I'm don't think this post is going to
> dramatically change things, but it needed to be said. The total
> disregard for users is so endemic I cannot wrap my head around how
> this has been embraced by the community.

FWIW, I have *not* embraced dub. I love D (the language), though.

Старый друг лучше новых двух.