I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Apr 24 20:59:12 UTC 2022

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 03:30:06PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 April 2022 at 09:44:40 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> > On Saturday, 23 April 2022 at 20:15:27 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> > > I want tool to work for me, not work for the tool.
> >

> > DUB gives me a chance to download and run your program and just type
> > "dub".
> >
> > While if I have to understand your build system first (especially if
> > it's a _custom_ build system), install the right version of make,
> > etc..  I will probably go on with my life and not even try.
>
> Just have dub ship the right version of make and alike. Problem
> solved.

+1.  Had dub been designed with the proper build capabilities, it would
have been a simple of matter of: "Project P uses build system B" -> dub
downloads B, downloads P, and builds P with B. You can even version it:
"Project P version V1 uses build system B version V2" -> dub downloads P
version V1, downloads P version V2, and builds P with B.

This can't be *that* hard to do, can it?

"The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again."