I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:48:49 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 01:21:58 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Monday, 25 April 2022 at 20:12:19 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>
>> The least power for the job definitively implies not inserting
>> a build system in the package manager.
> The question is, what exactly is dub missing and how can it be
> improved? Which perceived shortcomings are reasonable to
> address and which are not? And assuming we can answer those
> questions, who is going to address them?

Excellent question. My answer would be that it doesn't miss
anything, to the contrary. If it was limiting itself to fetching
dependencies and allow to publish new version of these, then it
would be perfect.

But in addition of doing that, it is telling me how to build, how
to do releases and so on. That was not a void i needed filling, I
had tools to do this just fine. Now dub is getting into the way
by interfering with say tools.

> So please, someone take all this energy directed at telling us
> all how terrible dub is and take the first step toward
> redirecting at turning dub into something more of us are
> willing to use.

I do not want to improve dub, I do not want to even use it. I'm
more or less dragged along because this is what people expect in
the ecosystem. It causes way more problems for me that it solves.
If that was up to me, I wouldn't fix it, I would just stop using
it.