I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

JN 666total at wp.pl
Tue Apr 26 11:00:26 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 23 April 2022 at 20:15:27 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> Ho, you wanted to distribute a package? Well, now you have a
> new build system. make was working great for you? Too bad. Can
> dub run make? It doesn't look like it but who knows. I don't.

Does your makefile support other platforms than Linux? How about
Windows? Makefiles aren't even native for Windows. I remember
before dub came about I had to recreate the Unix-like ecosystem
in MSYS/Cygwin just to have a chance to compile a D library.
These days I do dub build and most projects compile with no issue
on Windows.

Yes, it is limiting, and that is it's strength. With boundaries
comes reliability and consistency. If I want to reuse a piece of
code I want to dub add it to a project and start using it, not
chase down dependencies and try to make its code structure fit
into mine.

And the general practice seems to show it's the right approach.
Cargo is a massive success in Rust and C++ is constantly trying
to get their package manager story right.