I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 17:02:21 UTC 2022

On 4/26/22 6:48 AM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 01:21:58 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> So please, someone take all this energy directed at telling us all how
>> terrible dub is and take the first step toward redirecting at turning
>> dub into something more of us are willing to use.
>
> I do not want to improve dub, I do not want to even use it. I'm more or
> less dragged along because this is what people expect in the ecosystem.
> It causes way more problems for me that it solves. If that was up to me,
> I wouldn't fix it, I would just stop using it.

There's no requirement to use dub. If you want to build your own
ecosystem, or don't want to use this one, then don't. But saying "nobody
should use it, it should be just wild-west without any direction" is not
helpful.

This means you lose those benefits of being there. Your call.

I can say with certainty that I won't be leaving dub, even though I have
several issues with it. But literally none of the things you complain
about are any concern to me, in fact, I consider them to be features I want.

I would like to see dub redone in a way that is approachable. My biggest
problem is that the code is impenetrable. So even if I want to fix
problems, I can't. Even in this scenario, I'd keep all the things you
complain about, so that isn't really relevant to you.

-Steve