I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 20:29:54 UTC 2022

On 4/26/22 3:41 PM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 April 2022 at 19:29:31 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> The solution is not to bring everyone down to your misery though. "If
>> I can't have a good experience with what I want, nobody should" isn't
>> the right answer.
>
> Of course not, but Dub has the position of being the official tool for
> building the eco system. If it wasn't then there would be no argument, I
> think.
>
> If Walter is betting heavily on C-interop then that should be reflected
> in the official tooling. The goal should be to provide easy access to
> all C-packages, also the ones that are more esoteric. The only way to
> achieve that is to let (non D) outsiders do the hard work and then you
> need to do something different.

No amount of ImportC is going to encompass building all existing C projects.

Dub needs to play friendly with artifacts from other build systems. I
have run into headaches with using other non-D projects also. But it
doesn't have to play friendly with alternatives to building D code IMO.

But if you can all find a way to build dub projects in a way that's
usable outside building with dub (e.g. `dub --produce-makefile` or
whatnot), that's fine by me. Just don't make me change how I build my
projects.

-Steve