Why is D unpopular?

Satoshi satoshi at rikarin.org
Wed Apr 27 15:59:43 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 18:01:37 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 November 2021 at 17:27:25 UTC, Dr Machine Code
> wrote:
>> It got [asked on
>> reddit](https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/q74bzr/why_is_d_unpopular/) sub but for those that aren't active too, I'd like you opinions. Please don't get me wrong, I also love D, I've used it everywhere I can and I'd say it's my favourite language (yes I have one...) but I'm as as the reddit's OP, trying to understand why it's unpopular.
>
> I don't think it is reasonable to say it is unpopular, [Github
> activity shows that people create new projects with
> it](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/ltfgzovqcadknyjnabwp@forum.dlang.org) at roughly the same rate as Nim, Crystal and other smaller languages.
>
> What would be interesting to know is what made people who were
> very enthusiastic about D in the past (in the forums) switch to
> another language? Which language was it and why was that a
> better fit for them?

The reasons I left D was:
o The language is inconsistent and lacks a clear vision.
o Too much BS features but lacking cutting edge syntactic sugar
and features such as async/await (state machine, not the fiber
joke), nullable types and forced nullability...
o Meta programming is hard to understand and even harder to debug
o Lack of tutorials and frameworks.
o Not so OOP language as I wanted
o Too many features but not every of them was finished and
sometimes I didn't get the concept behind it.
o Developers of the language was focused on their vision and
totally ignored others. Also I don't know why they didn't take
the inspiration from other modern languages.

I had a feeling of an old conservative guy in his sixties every
time I have worked in D. I've switched to C# and I'm using it for
more than 7 years