I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Apr 27 20:38:53 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 03:42:50PM +0000, Adam D Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 11:09:33 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> > Indeed, not native. Are you suggesting Dub should include winget?
>
> If dub could resolve non-D dependencies, it could actually grab winget
> as part of its resolution. Potentially a very interesting angle.

If dub could be expanded to accept a superset of its narrowminded
interpretation of SemVer, its dependency resolution algorithm could be
reused for resolving non-D dependencies too.  I think this is a fruitful
direction to go.  Dub seriously needs to get over its walled garden
mentality and become more open to interacting with the outside world.

This would most certainly lead to very interesting developments. The
package management part of dub could be decoupled from the build system,
for example, by making build systems part of the dependency system so
that alternative build systems can be installed and used directly by
dub.  Cross-language capability could be implemented by making compiler
toolchains part of the dependency system -- you'd simply depend on, say,
a C compiler or a Java compiler pseudo-package, and you could build
native C/Java code directly inside dub and link it to D code (e.g., via
jni.d as part of the Java compiler pseudo-package).

There's a whole world out there beyond the fences of the walled garden,
just waiting to be explored.

The problem with the world is that everybody else is stupid.