I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

norm nr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:22:23 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 11:05:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 06:48:48 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>>> When you invoke conan, or in your config file, you can tell
>>> it to only build from source so it will not download the
>>> binary package even if available.
>>
>> Thanks, I might have look at Conan then… :)
>>
>> (I guess it is ok if the binaries are reproducible and built
>> on a secure cloud solution and not by individual contributors,
>> but it still sounds like a risk to my ears.)
>

> Seems like vcpkg has expanded their scope, by automatically
> downloading compilers, linkers and SDKs for embedded
> development:
>
> https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/vcpkg-artifacts/
>
>>  «The experience is in preview and currently focused on
>> embedded developers. We will expand the scope in the future to
>> include any developers targeting Linux, macOS, or Windows.»
>
> Not sure how they plan to ensure the quality/security of this
> approach, but I guess Microsoft can afford to pay staff to do
> the auditing (if they do it).
>
> It would be a grave mistake to try to replicate any of this for
> a small player like the D community. It would be better to get
> LDC and other dependencies into vcpkg.

+1

It would be good if D could get a foot in this door. vcpkg is
growing in popularity in the C++ community and getting some
really nice features. D compiler support would provide some great
marketing exposure.

Afaik vckg is tied to CMake so if you want to use GNU make it may
require some wrangling.