I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 08:59:11 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 23:22:23 UTC, norm wrote:
> Afaik vckg is tied to CMake so if you want to use GNU make it
> may require some wrangling.

I am no expert on build systems, make does what I need most of
the time, but CMake is becoming the de facto standard in the
C/C++ world and displacing other autoconfig solutions, so I am
not sure if there is another viable path that is future proof?

I understand the ease-of-use argument for Dub and pure D
projects. The problem is that small languages are more likely to
be incorporated as part of a multi-language project and then
dealing with many different package/build systems become a
liability and not an advantage. You might end up being forced to
embed the Dub source into your project… and that is just way too
clunky. It is not the kind of resistance you want people to face
when evaluating language options.

So you got me thinking that you are onto something with your
initial comment about Conan. Since it is possible to set up
private servers for Conan and vcpkg, I would assume that one
could fork either one of those and create a D version that also
access the central C/C++ hub. Then lobby for the D version to be
merged into upstream over time, that would give you full
integration with C/C++ build strategies…

People could still use Dub, what you want is some sort of
"syndication" solution so that Dub converts Dub packages and
uploads them to other systems. (Kinda like blogging solutions
that allows you to publish the same message to Twitter, Facebook,
SMS and your own website at the push of one button).