Why is D unpopular?

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Apr 28 11:26:49 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 09:39:57 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 09:27:54 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
>> If C# would be too ugly and inefficient, few would use it.
>> Visual Basic also supports .Net to some extent but is rarely
>> used compared to C# so language do matter.
>
> Right, but C# started out as a Java clone (basically) and I
> wonder if some of the language features they added over time
> are "significant" for why people rate C# favourably. I see more
> people complaining about Java than C# in online discussions.
> Why is that?

I'll say how I feel about it after having used both languages
extensively. For a long time, Java has been a very basic language
in some respect, which forces a lot of boilerplate code and
convoluted solutions onto the user. This flaw is really on a
language level, not an ecosystem level. C# took Java and evolved
it much faster with a lot of quality of life features. Generics
are a bit more powerful. Properties have nicer syntax. Delegates,
lambdas, structs, pattern matching etc. make it feel more refined
and more expressive. At the same time, the whole thing isn't too
complex (yet?).