Why is D unpopular?

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Thu Apr 28 12:04:11 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 28 April 2022 at 09:12:07 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> So it is all about the eco system and no advantages tied to the
> language itself (except avoiding memory pointers and such)?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I started using D about a
decade ago and back then I always wished other languages had
features D had, but now it's the opposite. I'm always missing
features in D.

Here are some of the things I like better about C# than D and
some things C# has that D doesn't.

* async/await
* Properties that actually work and also with a really good
syntax IMHO (getters/setters)
* string interpolation
* Shortened methods (and properties.) - much better than the
proposed version for D
* nullability built-in ex. object?.method(), as well
null-coalescing
* pattern matching / switch expressions
* out parameters that can be declared directly in the method call
* built-in tuples, as well auto-expanding them to variables etc.