I just created a dub package. Frankly, the whole thign is backward.

Tobias Pankrath tobias at pankrath.net
Fri Apr 29 16:50:02 UTC 2022

On Friday, 29 April 2022 at 16:33:57 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:

> On 30/04/2022 12:52 AM, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
>> Do you do this for every build or per compiler? `dub describe`
>> doesn't work that well if you use multiple compilers.
>
> How can ``dub describe`` be improved for multiple compilers?

`dub describe` specifically should provide paths to the actual
artifacts
instead of the symlinked locations, which are the same for all
build configurations.

While integrating it with nix, I have wished for:

1. Better control over where dub places and searches for stuff,
although `HOME=. dub ..` works.

2. A way to just download a projects and all it's dependencies
and place it somewhere.

3. That dub describe points to the actual build artifacts instead
of symlinked locations
used by differnet locations.

If you look at the dub integration code of meson, 3/4 of it is
finding stuff that dub is supposed to have already built after it
parsed the output of `dub describe`.