D tooling is disappointing

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:45:16 UTC 2022

_This is a longer than average post where I mostly express
personal concerns about things that you probably heard 100 of
times..._

Many of us use vim for quick scripting and if so, you know about
handy [vim-dutyl](https://github.com/idanarye/vim-dutyl) plugin.
If you're a MacVim user, you might already know about sad
[d-completion-daemon status in
MacPorts](https://i.imgur.com/qUtRpG3.png). There is no
maintainer for the only usable D autocompletion plugin for Vim.
Truth to be told, the actual vim-dutyl looks abandoned too.

I also use VSCode on Mac, it has a great **code-d** extension
installed. But unfortunately, it doesn't really work popping up
with notorious

> Could not initialize dub for
> /Users/tasty/Dev/document-sender-app. Falling back to limited
> functionality!
Cannot use dub with invalid configuration

Tried fixing it but without success. I had some issues with the
code-d plugin on Windows some years ago too. Then it was updated,
and now it works fine. The problem is that I use Mac for daily
work and I love scripting, and I believe D is an excellent
scripting language.

Now, here I would like to step back and just express that I am, a
casual D user, is pretty sad by the state of the D tooling. It's
nowhere close to much younger languages that have a decent IDE
support. Now, I am confident that whoever works hard today on D
is aware of this. And yet I think it is important to stress
again, that great IDE support, autocompletion, and doc hints for
such a rich standard library as Phobos are very important. It is
the lobby, the entrance gates to any newcomer interested in
learning the language. And we are not even talking about
productivity gains that proper language support can deliver.

If someone asks me about current D language tooling, I would have
to confess that it is lackluster. But, hey, some of us use nano
to program in D, right?

Having read numerous posts about how D is not popular, the
community is small, there is not enough people and such. I hope
the people who invested far more than me into this great
language, focus on something that can be achieved with the
resources that you have right now. Because, you know, it feels
sad to read dozens of comments about how better to implement some
language feature in the upcoming DIP while looking at the state
of its support in IDE. And let's not forget that D is >20 years
old. I wish someone at DConf talked about this mundane, casual
but really important problems that D has.

This is nowhere a critic to the tons of work that WebFreak001
does, but rather feedback or probably an accumulated
disappointment with things that I believe can be easily tackled
with a community effort.