D tooling is disappointing

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:32:11 UTC 2022

On 8/17/22 6:45 AM, tastyminerals wrote:
> _This is a longer than average post where I mostly express personal
> concerns about things that you probably heard 100 of times..._

I appreciate your position, and hear what you are saying.

This is by no means a response or excuse, just possibly an explanation.

I think many many D users are hard-core coders that come from C/C++
background, many of them old timers that use old editors they are
comfortable with. For me, the default vim code completion is enough. I
don't use VSCode, though I have used it to teach a D class, and it works
well enough on windows (with the occasional issue adding dub dependencies).

I wish that more people spent time on tooling, and I think this is where
having a large organization invested in maintaining a language helps --
it just takes more warm bodies to throw at such problems. But
personally, I can't say it's a demotivator. Of course, I'm more heavily
invested in the D language than most.

I hope the situation gets better, but I don't see it happening except
organically. Rainer has maintained Visual D for a long time, WebFreak
does VSCode, I think someone else posted about support for Intellij, so
the volunteers are there. My recommendation is to support them with some
feedback, help with development, and maybe some donations as well.

-Steve