D tooling is disappointing

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Aug 17 18:07:25 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 10:45:16 UTC, tastyminerals wrote:
> _This is a longer than average post where I mostly express
> personal concerns about things that you probably heard 100 of
> times..._

One problem is that this type of post is too vague. Saying the
tooling is "disappointing" is the equivalent of saying you think
the compiler should be improved. What you say might well be true,
but it's hard to know exactly what you are saying.

The first step to improvement is being clear about what the
tooling should do. Then, importantly, reference tooling that
works for other languages and provide explicit information about
how to do that for D. Really, it doesn't help to talk about
"tooling". To push for change, you should pick the small part of
the tooling that is causing you the biggest headaches and provide
clear steps for improving that.