D tooling is disappointing

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 07:31:57 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 18 August 2022 at 06:46:49 UTC, Siemargl wrote:

> For many years I've heard here that IDEs are not a priority
> issue and that vim is enough for everyone. And so we are here.

Plenty of people note that they use vim, but I don't believe
anyone here has been claiming it's enough for everyone.

> Is anyone of the new generation using Vim for Windows? I don't
> think so.

I would expect few people primarily developing on Windows use
vim. Even older generations.

> Specifically I would say about the terrible support for visual
> debugging on Windows, it really only exists in Visual D (many
> thanks for it) which was released relatively recently.
>
> There is a similar, though less acute, problem with profiler.

I want to reiterate what I posted above: the D ecosystem has
developed organically over the years as contributors have put out
their projects. There have been no resources to oversee and guide
it nor to implement it. Visual D, code-d & serve-d, and all of
the IDE and editor plugins and syntax files have been part of
that.

This was a functioning and useful model once upon a time, but it
stopped being that a while ago. We recognize that and we intend
to change it. Improving the user experience is a high priority
goal. It's not going to happen overnight. We have a number of
hurdles to get over in order for things to start happening, but
we are moving in that direction.

Please keep an eye on the Announce forum, the blog, our twitter
account, and/or our YouTube channel. I'll be documenting progress
in the summaries of our foundation meetings and in general
announcements and news videos. Hopefully by this time next year
we'll have our ecosystem management team in place, and they'll be
up and running overseeing the work that needs to be done.