D tooling is disappointing

tastyminerals tastyminerals at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 07:53:46 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 18 August 2022 at 06:46:49 UTC, Siemargl wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 18:07:25 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 10:45:16 UTC, tastyminerals
>> wrote:
>>> _This is a longer than average post where I mostly express
>>> personal concerns about things that you probably heard 100 of
>>> times..._
>>
>> One problem is that this type of post is too vague. Saying the
>> tooling is "disappointing" is the equivalent of saying you
>> think the compiler should be improved. What you say might well
>> be true, but it's hard to know exactly what you are saying.
>
> For many years I've heard here that IDEs are not a priority
> issue and that vim is enough for everyone. And so we are here.
>
> Is anyone of the new generation using Vim for Windows? I don't
> think so.
>
> Specifically I would say about the terrible support for visual
> debugging on Windows, it really only exists in Visual D (many
> thanks for it) which was released relatively recently.
>
> There is a similar, though less acute, problem with profiler.

Not only the new generation but the guys in late 20s (my
colleagues) don't use vim but use IntelliJ or VSCode exclusively
to do everything including console git magic.

Getting new people on board is hard when you can't provide
adequate accessibility. Persuading experienced engineers to use D
is impossible (I tried) once they see that the language IDE
support comfortably sits on hacks and one-man tools for years.
This is the first sign of the immaturity and a confident "no" for
developing anything serious beyond shell scripting.