Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:38:52 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 19:09:37 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> https://news.ycombinator.com/edit?id=34084894
>
> I'm wondering. Should I just go ahead and implement [..] in
> ImportC?

I thought the intent of ImportC was primarily to facilitate the
use of C libraries, e.g., sqlite, from D without having to
manually translate function prototypes and other definitions
(such as typedefs).

What you seem to be proposing is an extension to the C language
that the ImportC compiler (which is a C compiler) understands.
How is fixing a problem in C that the C community hasn't agreed
is a problem in a way it hasn't agreed to of benefit to the D
community?

Wouldn't it be better to devote ImportC time and effort to
extending ImportC's understanding of existing variants of C used
in libraries that it currently doesn't understand (I've
documented examples of this in a recent bug report that you asked
me to file)?

Perhaps I'm missing something here. If so, please enlighten me.

/Don