Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 21 19:59:58 UTC 2022

On 12/21/2022 11:38 AM, Don Allen wrote:
> Perhaps I'm missing something here. If so, please enlighten me.

ImportC already has a couple extensions from D to make programming in it easier.

But to address your point, ImportC has been a big success for D. People trying
to interface D with C and C++ have many times lamented the lack of dynamic
arrays in C and C++, leading to ugly interface hacks.

The advantages are:

1. drawing attention to ImportC, which will draw attention to D

2. D can call ImportC code, and ImportC code can call D code. This will make one
of the most-used features of D easy to cross over between the two languages.

3. Help get [..] into the C Standard which will help D, too, by making D easier
to interface with C

4. Getting it into C means better C debugger support for D