Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 21 20:44:06 UTC 2022

On 12/21/2022 12:25 PM, Don Allen wrote:
> Again, I thought the intent of ImportC was to facilitate access to useful
> existing  C libraries. If the C community doesn't have an instant epiphany and
> adopt your position of making a distinction between arrays and pointers because
> you added that feature to ImportC, then your effort is going to be greeted with
> the sound of one hand clapping.

I have some experience implementing things that no sane person wants, and it
becoming a game changer. Of course, I can't know this in advance. But I'm not
afraid to try.

> I think it would be much better if you argued for your proposed change to C to
> the C-powers-that-be and devoted your ImportC efforts to extending its coverage
> of existing C dialects. I think *that* would be the best way to make ImportC a
> big win for D.
I agree with you on the importance of improving ImportC's abilities to handle
common .h files with their wacky use of C extensions. I just did another
improvement for that a couple days ago.