Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 21:27:28 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 21 December 2022 at 20:44:06 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/21/2022 12:25 PM, Don Allen wrote:
>> Again, I thought the intent of ImportC was to facilitate
>> access to useful existing  C libraries. If the C community
>> doesn't have an instant epiphany and adopt your position of
>> making a distinction between arrays and pointers because you
>> added that feature to ImportC, then your effort is going to be
>> greeted with the sound of one hand clapping.
>
> I have some experience implementing things that no sane person
> wants, and it becoming a game changer. Of course, I can't know
> this in advance. But I'm not afraid to try.
>

>> I think it would be much better if you argued for your
>> proposed change to C to the C-powers-that-be and devoted your
>> ImportC efforts to extending its coverage of existing C
>> dialects. I think *that* would be the best way to make ImportC
>> a big win for D.
> I agree with you on the importance of improving ImportC's
> abilities to handle common .h files with their wacky use of C
> extensions. I just did another improvement for that a couple
> days ago.

Well, you are the key guy on this project. If I were in your
shoes, I'd be prioritizing my todo list in descending order of
your best guess of expected value to the project. My guess  of
the expected value of [..] is epsilon, which is approaching zero.
But it's your project, so you do what you want. But you did ask
us, and that's my opinion.