Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 23 21:32:28 UTC 2022

On 12/23/2022 12:46 PM, Hipreme wrote:
> And what problem will that solve?

People will be able to incrementally add D modules to existing C projects. Ive
done such work, and C not supporting dynamic arrays is a particular nuisance.
Anything we can do to make that easier will make D more attractive.

> Just check how much time D lost while trying to get into Android (which is
> unfortunately broken again).

The Android project was not one I was involved with, so none of my time was lost
on it.

> Now we're living the Web era without real D support in WASM.

If the WASM needs help, then please help it.

> I'm still really bothered with the many people that quit the language because of
> stubbornness and no real comunitty problem.

I do not tell people what to work on. (Well, sometimes I do, but that doesn't
work. People ask me what to work on, I give a list of things, and they go do
something not on the list.) People work on what they want to. The WASM support
came about because people decided to support it. I didn't tell anyone to go
implement WASM support.

It would be different if the D Foundation had a budget that could spend millions
of dollars on top engineers. But we don't, we rely on volunteer work done by top
engineers.

Anyone is welcome to fork D. It's designed and licensed to permit this. But
unless it comes with a plan for paid staff, it's hard to see how it would be
different.

If there's a particular problem you need addressed, I encourage you to do one or
more of:

1. file a bug report in bugzilla
2. create and submit a DIP
3. implement your idea or fix