Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:46:09 UTC 2022

On Friday, 23 December 2022 at 20:34:10 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/23/2022 6:24 AM, GrimMaple wrote:
>> What is your goal even, do you care about D at all? I'm going
>> to great lengths to write software that's pure D, and when the
>> creator of D gives up and starts "fixing" other languages,
>> that's a huge off point to many.
>
> Expecting people with large C code bases to translate their C
> code to D is never, ever going to work. With ImportC, their C
> code bases can become "user friendly" with D code, making using
> D viable with a considerably larger user base.

And what problem will that solve? People in C aren't going to use
alien syntax, much less using D because it allows that syntax.

D can't run on every platform as C or C++ does. Unless you're
thinking about killing the language itself and making
"""betterC""" the only usable component in D.

Just check how much time D lost while trying to get into Android
(which is unfortunately broken again).
Now we're living the Web era without real D support in WASM. D
with the ability to be used as an alternative to
Javascript/Typescript programmers would be specially useful as it
is not a hard language to work with.

The runtime problem must be solved somehow for we can stop
dividing D and betterC libraries. A lot of projects were
duplicated after betterC announcement.

I'm still really bothered with the many people that quit the
language because of stubbornness and no real comunitty problem.