Send me your list of D gripes and wishes

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 15:58:55 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 25 December 2022 at 07:47:19 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/24/2022 7:10 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> I have alot of memories like this one from when I use to try
>> to fix issues with D. I have a passion about my tools being
>> correct, but, I found myself spending more time arguing with
>> people than writing code. It was miserable.
>
> I don't like arguing, either. I often spend more time arguing
> about a PR than developing it. I understand how frustrating
> this can be. I suppose it just comes with the territory when
> there are a lot of stakeholders doing reviews.

If you don't like arguing, then just stop arguing.

>> Now I'm able to spend time doing what I love, writing
>> robust-maintainable software with good tooling. When there's
>> an issue with my toolchain, I'm able to submit a fix and it
>> gets merged. It's night and day for me. I don't understand why
>> there's was always so much disagreement/resistance when I
>> contributed to D, I suppose I may never know. No hard feelings
>> though, hope y'all are doing well.
>
> Your track record of successful merges is also very, very good
> and you should be proud of your achievements:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pulls?page=1&q=is%3Apr+author%3Amarler8997+is%3Aclosed

Getting PRs in should be an achievement, it should be a part of
working process. I also heavily dislike how you argue the
experience of getting PRs in by how much of them exist. If people
tell you their experience sucked, then you should listen to it
and try to improve it.