What do you think about treating DMD v2.100.x as an LTS release?

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 02:56:47 UTC 2022

This is a spin off from
https://forum.dlang.org/post/to2fjp$cqb$1@digitalmars.com

On Thursday, 22 December 2022 at 20:44:50 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/22/2022 4:05 AM, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
>> Would selecting some compiler version as LTS and backporting
>> only minor bugfixes to it require too much effort?
>
> If someone wants to volunteer to do this, I would welcome it.
> In fact, an LTS version isn't even necessary. Any fix could be
> backported to any previous D release.

Sounds good. How is this going to work in practice?

I think that v2.100.x is a good choice because this frontend
version is used by GDC 12. It's included in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS,
which is going to be supported at least until April 2027, see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

GDC 12 itself is likely to have 3 more bugfix updates (12.3, 12.4
and 12.5), see https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html#timeline

This is the list of GDC related commits from the GCC 12 branch:
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git&a=search&h=refs%2Fheads%2Freleases%2Fgcc-12&st=author&s=Iain+Buclaw

GDC 12.1 was based on DMD frontend v2.100.0 and GDC 12.2 got it
upgraded to v2.100.1

Now I wonder, which frontend version will be used by GDC 12.3? Is
it going to be v2.100.2? Are there any plans to backport even
more frontend bugfixes for the future GDC 12.4 and GDC 12.5
releases?