What do you think about treating DMD v2.100.x as an LTS release?

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 05:05:15 UTC 2022

On Monday, 26 December 2022 at 02:56:47 UTC, Siarhei Siamashka
wrote:
> This is a spin off from
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/to2fjp$cqb$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Sounds good. How is this going to work in practice?
>
> I think that v2.100.x is a good choice because this frontend
> version is used by GDC 12. It's included in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS,
> which is going to be supported at least until April 2027, see
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

It is really difficult to identify changes and how they apply to
different versions. Having a target LTS is good as it provides  a
version to evaluate if a bug fix can be applied.

If a few people are interested, they could track the bug fixes
applied to mainline and try to apply them to the 100.x. This
person does not need to come up with the fixes, even just taking
one that integrate cleanly would be beneficial.

I would expect that it would not add too much work for a release.