80 bit floating point emulator

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 14:22:05 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 13:47:37 UTC, kinke wrote:
> I strongly disagree. `real` is the cross-platform solution for
> 'max hardware precision' or 'C long double', and most code
> should probably use float/double.

And when would you use this?

D has alias, so you all you need is a feature that allows you to
query what is compiled to hardware instructions and what is
compiled to software, then bind it.

This what actual production code does in C/C++ too. If you are
flexible about precision you typically bind it to an alias. E.g.
in signal processing you might bind "sample_t" to a known fixed
floating point type in your configuration header.