Potential of a compiler that creates the executable at once

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Feb 12 16:13:55 UTC 2022

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 07:51:38AM +0000, forkit via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> That's the primary reason I became interested in D - the speed of
> compilation, using dmd.
[...]
> I don't care how great a programming language is, slow compilation is
> a real turn off!
>
> Hooray for dmd!!

I use dmd for the code-compile-test cycle because of the fast
turnaround. For small programs dmd is so fast it's almost like
programming in a scripting language(!). For larger programs it's less
so, but still impressively fast for compile times.

Runtime performance of executables compiled by dmd, however, is a
disappointment.  I consistently get 20%-40% runtime performance
improvement by compiling with ldc/gdc, esp. for CPU-intensive programs.

So my usual workflow is dmd for code-compile-test, ldc -O2 for release
builds.

Amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.