[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sat Feb 26 08:48:58 UTC 2022

On Friday, 25 February 2022 at 21:03:21 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Friday, 25 February 2022 at 08:40:12 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> ... The motivation for providing an alternative to exceptions
>> in C++ is that not having an embedded-friendly standard
>> library is problematic. It is harmful to their eco system.
>> ..
>
> The 'real' motivation is simple -> an increased awareness of
> the benefits of Rust within the C++ community.
>
> That is, C++ now has a genuine competitor -> and C++ now needs
> to compete, or risk losing market share.
>
> So I expect we'll see a noticable increase in ideas and
> innovation coming out of the C++ community, particuly in areas
> where Rust does it better.
>
> D should also remain alert to what's going on ;-)

In terms of ecosystem, Rust is where C++ was 30 years ago.

While its ideas might seem to be a risk to C++, specially since
there is no way to fix unsafe by default in C++ without breaking
backwards compatibility.

However until we get Metal rewritten in Rust, CUDA Rust,
Tensorflow/Pytorch rewritten in Rust, LLVM/GCV rewritten in Rust,
AUTOSAR and SYSCL move from C++ to Rust, Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft
console SDK support for Rust, CERN, Fermilab, NASA moving away
from Fortran/C++.....

There is no market share for Rust to take away from C++ on those
domains.

Currently D has more to lose against Rust than C++, because it
lacks such deep ingrained industry support, and trying to be just
like Rust won't be differentiating factor.