[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 13:48:52 UTC 2022

On Friday, 25 February 2022 at 21:03:21 UTC, forkit wrote:
> The 'real' motivation is simple -> an increased awareness of
> the benefits of Rust within the C++ community.
>
> That is, C++ now has a genuine competitor -> and C++ now needs
> to compete, or risk losing market share.

Maybe, but how many committed C++ programmers have switched to
Rust?

> So I expect we'll see a noticable increase in ideas and
> innovation coming out of the C++ community, particuly in areas
> where Rust does it better.

Yes, but it will probably come in the form of being "optional".
Many of the improvements in C++ comes from compiler/tooling
support/switches or things that can pass as library extensions
(but really only makes sense with compiler support). I don't
think we will see much in the shape of changes to the core
language.

> D should also remain alert to what's going on ;-)

D should form its own vision, and focus on that vision. Only then
will real improvements be possible. Too many DIPs touch on things
that have no significant impact. If it has no significant impact
then it should not be a priority. Without a vision it difficult
to assess what the priorities ought to be.

For C++ you can say that the vision is to support existing fields
where it is widely used better. They have many use cases to
analyse. So that is a very different situation.

I think what the priorities ought to be is more clear for C++ as
it have many specific niche areas where it is heavily used.