[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 20:47:27 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 26 February 2022 at 13:48:52 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:

> Maybe, but how many committed C++ programmers have switched to
> Rust?

so you don't compete in the market, by waiting till your
competitor has taken your customers ;-)

> Yes, but it will probably come in the form of being "optional".
> Many of the improvements in C++ comes from compiler/tooling
> support/switches or things that can pass as library extensions
> (but really only makes sense with compiler support). I don't
> think we will see much in the shape of changes to the core
> language.
>

> D should form its own vision, and focus on that vision. Only
> then will real improvements be possible. Too many DIPs touch on
> things that have no significant impact. If it has no
> significant impact then it should not be a priority. Without a
> vision it difficult to assess what the priorities ought to be.

D seems to becoming more of a development environment for C code.

Seriously. If I want C, I can just use C.

So just where D is going to stand out (in relation to it's
competitors) in this new world of 'more secure code', is not at
all clear to me, and it's vision is even more obscure to me.

> For C++ you can say that the vision is to support existing
> fields where it is widely used better. They have many use cases
> to analyse. So that is a very different situation.
>
> I think what the priorities ought to be is more clear for C++
> as it have many specific niche areas where it is heavily used.

This would be sign of impending doom for C++. i.e. It *also*
needs to focus heavily on competing for new customers, now that
many people and corporations see Rust as serious contender.

I remind you, that the info in this link is somewhat outdated ;-)

(i.e. the Rust ecosystem has grown further since this analysis).

https://joeprevite.com/rust-lang-ecosystem/