[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 23:00:24 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 26 February 2022 at 20:47:27 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 February 2022 at 13:48:52 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>>
>> Maybe, but how many committed C++ programmers have switched to
>> Rust?
>
> so you don't compete in the market, by waiting till your
> competitor has taken your customers ;-)

Or you don't fall into the trap of trying to be everything for
everybody and ending up with a design that doesn't satisfy anyone.

> D seems to becoming more of a development environment for C
> code.
>
> Seriously. If I want C, I can just use C.

Yes, that does not work. The only thing C has going for it is
critical mass. Nobody can compete with C, as the selling point of
C is its history.  So, that would be a loose-loose strategy.

> So just where D is going to stand out (in relation to it's
> competitors) in this new world of 'more secure code', is not at
> all clear to me, and it's vision is even more obscure to me.

The vision has not been elaborated in way that is meaningful, I
agree.

In my view the vision ought to be to switch to local GC for
non-shared and ARC for shared objects, and gear the eco system
towards an actor model that make good use of a wide range of CPU
configurations (e.g. run equally well on 2 cores, 32 cores, and
so on). But that is not the current vision, that is just what I
personally think would make sense for the current user base.

> This would be sign of impending doom for C++. i.e. It *also*
> needs to focus heavily on competing for new customers, now that
> many people and corporations see Rust as serious contender.

I don't think so. C++ can afford to loose some customers in some
application domains and strengthen its positions in areas where
it is most suitable. Changing the core language would be a
mistake for C++ because it has critical mass, way more so than
any other competitor.

That "critical mass" is the key issue, so what is good for C++
does not translate to other languages.