[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Feb 27 10:16:23 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 08:07:01 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 01:29:58 UTC, forkit wrote:
>> Instead, they should have combined computer science with
>> psychological science, and they would have come up with a
>> better syntax that is less cognitively challenging (something
>> C++ is working hard towards.. well..in part).
>
> Yes, they have looked at bloat and come up with simple
> solutions that work well, such as replacing "function objects"
> with lambdas.
>
> However, usability in 2022 means IDE-friendly. C++ and D are
> not particularly friendly to people creating advanced IDEs.
>
> C++ will probably be replaced with a language that allows new
> and better ways to express programming ideas in the form of
> IDEs (with graphical modelling support etc). Let's hope it is
> something far better than the current challengers.

Qt, Clion and Visual Studio are doing just fine for C++, by
adopting the ideas that were already being explored a couple of
decades ago, via language servers.

In fact, during the early 90's two companies companies already
went down this path, Lucid and IBM.

Lucid with Energize (1993 Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQQTScuApWk), using a DB for the
C++ AST (https://dreamsongs.com/Cadillac.html).

IBM with the release of Visual Age for C++ v4.0, which used a
Smalltalk like image for C++ code,
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/VisualAge_C%2B%2B_4.0_Review

Both failed in the market, because they required quite expensive
workstations to be usable, however their requirements are a joke
now when compared with what most people phones are running.

So naturally, all major C++ IDEs are now adding back those
features.

Visual Studio 2022 allows me to use C++ almost like .NET, easily
hot reloading modified code, and it isn't the only C++
environment offering such kind of goodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_gr6DNrJuM

https://liveplusplus.tech/

By the way, NVidia now has a A Team collection of C++ people, it
is quite clear that C++ has won the wars of programming GPU
hardware and SYSCL will cement the same for FPGA design.