[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 15:17:01 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 10:16:23 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

> By the way, NVidia now has a A Team collection of C++ people,

Yes, good work is being done there, some of which can be co-opted
today by dcompute pioneers.  The CUB library, in particular, is
worth a look.  It shows how world class GPU performance can be
achieved using C++.  It also, much like Boost, reminds one of how
fortunate we are to have D.

> it is quite clear that C++ has won the wars of programming GPU
> hardware and SYSCL will cement the same for FPGA design.

Without a doubt C++ is quite popular in the GPU space, I used
C++/CUDA myself for years but, even in its
early/can-certainly-improve form, I much prefer dcompute.

C++ is today's safe choice for both CPU and GPU performance work
but less conservative programmers/companies would do well to
examine alternatives.  The productivity improvement can be (was
for me) substantial.

Finally, if D/dcompute is just too risky for you I'd suggest
taking a look at Sean Baxter's circle variant of C++.  If
D/dcompute were unavailable I'd take circle for a spin.