[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:24:02 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 19:32:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 18:02:54 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes.  Staying with C++, especially if you've got a very large
>> code base, makes more sense to me than *starting* a new C++
>> project.
>
> How do you start a new project in D for PlayStation
> 5/Switch/XBox or get a AUTOSAR certification for deployment of
> D written software?

We're a ways out but SPIR-V looks like it has opened a path to
multi-language deployments on the consoles.  I've not looked at
the AUTOSAR world.

> Unless one is willing to do the work Unity has been doing with
> C#, or Ferrous Systems is doing with Rust, D isn't going to the
> choice, rather those.

I agree.  If the effort involved in getting D off the ground in a
new domain outweighs the perceived long range benefits then I'd
expect the team tackling a new project to have chosen another
language.  I view such choices as an indication of where D was
when those choices were made rather than as a pronouncement of
permanent exclusion.

I believe that D can and will evolve to lower the costs of
entering new domains: seamless/automated importC "bindings",
better support in SoC environments, dcompute maturation, ...
As/if it does, the economics change and we're likely to see
forays into new areas.