[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

meta meta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 08:06:46 UTC 2022

On Monday, 28 February 2022 at 06:40:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Monday, 28 February 2022 at 01:47:47 UTC, meta wrote:
>> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 19:32:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> How do you start a new project in D for PlayStation
>>> 5/Switch/XBox or get a AUTOSAR certification for deployment
>>> of D written software?
>>>
>>> Unless one is willing to do the work Unity has been doing
>>> with C#, or Ferrous Systems is doing with Rust, D isn't going
>>> to the choice, rather those.
>>
>> Unity isn't shipping C# on consoles, they are shipping C++
>> code, using IL2CPP, then they compile the C++ to target the
>> various platforms..
>>

>> You guys enumerates features that competes with C/C++/Rust,
>> why the hell the idea to compete with C#/F# came from? Someone
>> wants to hit walls rather than profiting from D's strengths as
>> a System language..
>>
>> There is 2 visions for the languages that is clashing, sorting
>> this out should be the priority.. it obviously prevents us to
>> move forward..
>
> Unity is shipping machine code into consoles.
>
> How that C# code got massaged into machine code is irrelevant.
>
> C++ used to be a source translator into C until Walter shipped
> the first proper compiler, so what.
>
> Whatever vision, doesn't matter if D doesn't know where it
> wants to be.
>
> D had an opportunity to make it big like C# on games industry,
> so here is where the idea comes from.

It is relevant

     Engine:C++ -> Scripting:C# -> Target:C++ -> Output:Machine
Code

Scripting could be replaced by anything, it doesn't matter, it's
flavor of the month (decade here but the point is still valid)

You said it right, we should do what C++ do best, and the reason
why C/C++ are still used today

D is well positioned to be:

     Engine:D -> Scripting:D -> Output:Machine Code

Removing the unnecessary extra step..

Reducing the complexity of Unity as a whole, that's our strength,
scripting part shouldn't make us forgot what's the initial
foundation, a solid system language!

But at this point we are being a little bit out of topic..