[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Feb 28 06:40:32 UTC 2022

On Monday, 28 February 2022 at 01:47:47 UTC, meta wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 19:32:47 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 18:02:54 UTC, Bruce Carneal
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.  Staying with C++, especially if you've got a very large
>>> code base, makes more sense to me than *starting* a new C++
>>> project.
>>
>> How do you start a new project in D for PlayStation
>> 5/Switch/XBox or get a AUTOSAR certification for deployment of
>> D written software?
>>
>> Unless one is willing to do the work Unity has been doing with
>> C#, or Ferrous Systems is doing with Rust, D isn't going to
>> the choice, rather those.
>
> Unity isn't shipping C# on consoles, they are shipping C++
> code, using IL2CPP, then they compile the C++ to target the
> various platforms..
>

> You guys enumerates features that competes with C/C++/Rust, why
> the hell the idea to compete with C#/F# came from? Someone
> wants to hit walls rather than profiting from D's strengths as
> a System language..
>
> There is 2 visions for the languages that is clashing, sorting
> this out should be the priority.. it obviously prevents us to
> move forward..

Unity is shipping machine code into consoles.

How that C# code got massaged into machine code is irrelevant.

C++ used to be a source translator into C until Walter shipped
the first proper compiler, so what.

Whatever vision, doesn't matter if D doesn't know where it wants
to be.

D had an opportunity to make it big like C# on games industry, so
here is where the idea comes from.