Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:41:25 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 22:50:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:

> What do you think?

For the general programmers/developer, parallelism needs to be
deeply integrated into the language and it's std library, so that
it can be 'inferred' (by the compiler/optimiser).

Perhaps a language like D, could adopt @parallelNO to instruct
the compiler/optimiser to never infer parallelism in the code
that follows.

The O/S should also has a very important role in inferring
parallelism.

parallelism has been promoted as the new thing..for a
very..very...long time now.

I've had 8 cores available on my pc for well over 10 years now. I
don't think anything running on my pc has the slighest clue that
they even exist ;-)  (except the o/s).

I expect 'explicitly' coding parallelism will continue to be
relegated to a niche subset of programmers/developers, due to the
very considerable knowledge/skillset needed, to
design/develop/test/debug parallel code.