Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Thu Jan 13 00:55:03 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 00:41:25 UTC, forkit wrote:

> parallelism has been promoted as the new thing..for a
> very..very...long time now.
>
> I've had 8 cores available on my pc for well over 10 years now.
> I don't think anything running on my pc has the slighest clue
> that they even exist ;-)  (except the o/s).
>
> I expect 'explicitly' coding parallelism will continue to be
> relegated to a niche subset of programmers/developers, due to
> the very considerable knowledge/skillset needed, to
> design/develop/test/debug parallel code.

Yes, that parallelism is for many applications a dead end as you
need something that can take advantage of it. Often forcing
parallel execution can often instead reduce performance.

In order to exploit parallelism you need to understand your
program and how it can take advantage of it. Languages that tries
to make things in parallel under the hood without the programmer
knowledge has been a fantasy for decades and it still is.

I'm not saying that the additions in C++ aren't useful, people
will probably find good use for it. The presentation just reminds
me how C++ just gets more ugly for every iteration and I'm happy
I jumped off that horror train.