Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 15:22:39 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 07:46:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> I think the ship has already sailed, given the industry
> standards of SYSCL and C++ for OpenCL, and their integration
> into clang (check the CppCon talks on the same) and FPGA
> generation.

The SYSCL/FPGA presentation was interesting, but he said it
should be considered a research project at this point?

I am a bit weary of all the solutions that are coming from
Khronos. It is difficult to say what becomes prevalent across
many platforms. Both Microsoft and Apple have undermined open
standards such as OpenGL in their desire to lock in developers to
their own "monopolistic eco system" …

So, a focused language solution of limited scope might actually
be better for developers than (big) open standards.

> There was a time to try overthrow C++, that was 10 years ago,
> LLVM was hardly relevant and GPGPU computing still wasn't
> mainstream.

Overthrowing C++ isn't possible, but D could focus more on
desktop application development and provide a framework for it.
Then you need to have a set of features/modules/libraries in
place in a way that fits well together. GPU-compute would be one
of those I think.